Camps Kite
Summer Camp FAQ


Who comes to West Ohio Camps?

Our camps are open to all children, you do not have to be a member of a United Methodist Church to attend one of our events. Our campers are boys and girls ages 7-17 from all across Ohio and the surrounding states. 


Can my camper bring their cell phone?

We do not allow campers to bring cell phones or other electronics with them. Spending a week without cell phones allows campers to get away from distractions and focus on the here and now. Campers will have so much fun, they won't have a chance to miss their phones!


How can I stay in touch with my camper?

We offer a free, one-way email service for you to send messages to your campers. Campers can also send and recieve snail-mail (no packages). We suggest sending letters a few days before camp starts to make sure they get here in time. Campers cannot recieve phone calls unless there is a family emergency.


Can my camper request a buddy in their cabin?

Camp is a great place to try new things and meet new people! If you feel your camper needs to be placed in the same cabin as a friend, you can request a buddy on your online registration. Buddies must be the same gender and within 2 years of age. We are unable to take buddy requests the day of check-in.


Can I see pictures of my camper while they are at camp?

We have a dedicated photographer on site to take pictures of your campers. Photos are posted daily on our password-protected website.


Do I need to send money with my camper?

No, everything is included in the registration fee. You may want to bring money with you to shop at our camp store during pick-up.


Do you offer financial assistance?

We do offer financial assistance for families who need it thanks to generous support from individual donors and United Methodist Churches. The scholarship form is available in our online registration. We also offer sibling discounts to any family with more than one camper attending.


My camper requires medication, can they bring it with them?

All medications must be turned in to the camp Health Officer during check-in. The Health Officer will keep your caper's medications secure and ensure they are administered properly. Any emergency medication such as epi-pens and inhalers will be kept by your camper's counselor in a locked bag. Medications must come in their original container with the name of the medication and the dosage clearly marked.


Can you accomodate campers with special medical needs?

Our goal is for every child to be able to experience camp. If your camper has special medical needs, please contact the camp office before registering to make sure we can provide the proper care for your child. We can work with you to create a plan and decide if Camp Otterbein is the right fit for you. Give us a call at (380) 223-2267.


What if my child becomes homesick?

Missing home is common for first-time campers, especially if it i s their first time being away from family. Our staff are trained to keep your camper engaged and comforted when they are missing home.


We'd love to talk with you about any other questions you might have! Give us a call at (380) 223-2267.